W.A.R.E. Announcing Upcoming 2022 Events and Anticipated Events/Opportunities
Plans for the 2022 year include:
- The awarding of $4000 in scholarships by the Tim Barber Memorial Scholarship Fund. Applications for eligible seniors from Wayne County schools are available at https://www.wayneaction.org/scholarship/info. The application deadline is April 29, 2022.
- Continued additions of racial and social justice books to the WARE Collection at the Newark Public Library. https://evergreen.owwl.org/eg/opac/results?query=WARE+Collection&qtype=bookplate&fi%3Asearch_format=&locg=1&sort=&detail_record_view=0 January additions can be found at https://www.wayneaction.org/articles/january-additions-to-the-newark-library-ware-book-collection.
- Assistance forming the Citizen Review Committees and Minority Concerns Committees established in the Wayne County Sheriff’s Police Reform and Reinvention Plan(submitted to New York Stet on April 1, 2021) and similar committees written into the Police Reform and Reinvention Plans of the Village of Sodus and the Village of Newark.
- The fifth annual Anti-Racism Professional Development Workshop and Course for county teachers and staff. For more on the need for anti-racism workshops for teachers, see https://www.wayneaction.org/articles/anti-racism-curriculum-is-essential-for-every-k-16-program written by course instructors and WARE member, Jim Wood, with input from Earl Greene and Danielle Ohlson who also teach the course and are WARE members.
- Voices of Wayne County, a book project of residents’ memories for the commemoration of the 2023 Bicentennial of Wayne County, that WARE members have helped craft.
- Tentative plans for the 2022 year also include:
- A new social justice discussion event co-sponsored by the Newark Public Library. Watch the library’s event page for an announcement at https://newarklibrary.org/.
- The second annual MLK Series (details forthcoming on the WARE FB Page.
- Black History Month in a Year highlighting local Black History in Wayne County(details forthcoming on the WARE FB Page.